Things You Must Know Before Investing in Solar Energy Stocks
- 1. Look out for solar power companies that have proven successful tracks Demand for solar energy is projected to rise substantially by 2020 by all accounts, but in reality, it is a rear mirror for potential solar investors.
- 2. Watch for greenwashing
- 3. Closely monitoring cash flows
- 4. Diversification improved by ETFs and Mutual Funds
- 5. Let’s look at it
- 0.1 How do you evaluate renewable energy projects?
- 0.2 What is the future potential for solar power?
- 1 What are the criteria for choosing appropriate green energy technologies?
How do you evaluate renewable energy projects?
Open Access Feature Paper Review 1 Department of Management, Campus Darcy Ribeiro, University of Brasília, Brasília 70910-900, Brazil 2 ALGORITMI Research Center, School of Engineering, University of Minho, 4800-058 Guimarães, Portugal * Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editor: Enrique Rosales-Asensio Received: 11 August 2021 / Revised: 10 January 2022 / Accepted: 11 January 2022 / Published: 18 January 2022 The financial evaluation of renewable energy sources (RES) projects is well explored in the literature, but many different methods have been followed by different authors.
Then, it is important to understand if and how these methods have been changing and what factors may have driven new approaches. Therefore, this article aims to explore the publications on the financial evaluation of RES projects from 2011 to 2020 and to present a critical analysis of the reviewed literature.
The methods for evaluating RES projects were grouped into four categories: (i) traditional metrics based on net present value, internal rate of return, and payback period; (ii) levelized cost of electricity; (iii) return on investment approach; and (iv) real options analysis. A quantitative analysis was carried out considering aspects related to the relevance of the authors, productivity by country, and the most relevant journals for each of these groups.
Then, a qualitative analysis of the main characteristics of the five most cited articles in each group was conducted. The results show that the more traditional methods are still widely used for the financial evaluation of RES projects. However, approaches based on the levelized cost and real options have been growing in importance to tackle the complex features of financial evaluation and comparison of RES projects.
What factors should be considered when designing a PV system?
The installation of the photovoltaic modules must take into account some factors to take full advantage of solar radiation : the orientation, the inclination, the latitude of the place, the climatic conditions, and the effect of shadows between the PV panels. For the calculation of the energy production of a photovoltaic installation, it is essential to know the solar irradiation in the plane corresponding to the installation and the solar path in the place at the different times of the year. The situation of the sun at any time is determined by the height and azimuth of the sun.
- The performance of photovoltaic panels is influenced by their orientation and tilt (inclination), which affects the amount of producible energy.
- Depending on the inclination, solar energy will be maximum when the position of the plate is perpendicular to the irradiation,
- The orientation of the photovoltaic module is the angle of deviation from the geographical south of a surface or north in the southern hemisphere,
Maximum deviations of +/- 20 degrees are permissible, In the northern hemisphere, the general rule for the placement of solar panels is that they must be oriented towards the true south (and in the south, the true north) so that they can receive as much as possible direct radiation throughout the day,
- The orientation angle of the solar panel is based on one angle only: the orientation (or the azimuth) of the panel.
- The solar azimuth is the angle formed by the solar meridian and the meridian of the place (South in the Northern Hemisphere and North in the Southern Hemisphere).
- This angle is zero at solar noon, negative in the morning and positive in the afternoon.
The orientation of the panels may be indicated with the Azimuth angle (γ) of deviation with respect to the optimum direction to the south (in the northern hemisphere) or to the north (in the southern hemisphere). The climatic condition and geographical location of the PV modules play an important role in choosing the right tilt angle for high energy production,
Solar radiation on a surface perpendicular to the direction of the propagation of solar radiation is always greater than if we place the same surface in any other position. The inclination takes into account the position of the sun during the year, so its optimal position may vary over time.Therefore, for the installation of fixed modules, an inclination value is usually chosen for the maximum average power received annually.
For maximum conversion of light into solar electricity, solar panels must be mounted at an angle to point directly at the sun, On trackers and depending on how the panel is mounted, it can be kept at a permanent angle or adjusted throughout the year to maximize solar energy from the sun. Latitude is defined as the distance from a point on the Earth’s surface to equator, Through the Google Earth tool it is possible to obtain the latitude measurement. You can use the menu search to find the name of the location on the map, In this way, the latitude value will be found.
What is the future potential for solar power?
Solar Futures Study Draws Insights From Across NREL’s Expertise and Tools To Deliver Detailed Analysis of Solar Energy’s Future in United States – The next 30 years of solar energy is likely to look very different than the past 30. Photovoltaics (PV) and concentrating solar power are likely to continue to grow rapidly—the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) projects solar energy could provide 45% of the electricity in the United States by 2050 if the energy system is fully decarbonized—and technology costs are projected to continue to decline,
- But in the coming decades, the evolution of solar energy technologies could be defined more by how they interact with other energy technologies, like wind and storage.
- Changes across the wider energy system, like the increased electrification of buildings and vehicles, emergence of clean fuels, and new commitments to both equitability and a more circular, sustainable economy, will shape the future of solar energy.
These are just some of the key findings of the Solar Futures Study, published by the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Energy Technologies Office and written by NREL. The study is based on extensive analysis and modeling conducted by NREL and synthesizes analysis across many domains to provide a balanced and rigorous assessment of the future of solar power.
- Solar can play a synergistic role across various sectors including industry, transportation, and agriculture.
- To better understand the future of solar across the energy system, we brought together numerous experts from across the lab.” – NREL researcher Kristen Ardani “The study brought together expert perspectives across industry, government, nongovernmental organizations, and universities to frame its research direction,” said NREL’s lead of the study, Robert Margolis,
“Then we used several of NREL’s detailed power system modeling tools to examine how the role of solar could evolve under a set of decarbonization scenarios.”
Is solar a booming industry?
What is the growth rate of the Solar Power industry in the US in 2022? The market size of the Solar Power industry is expected to increase 27.3% in 2022.
What are five criteria for evaluating any energy source?
A new approach for evaluation of renewable energy resources: A case of Turkey ABSTRACT The energy needs of Turkey, especially electricity and heating, will eventually increase in the next years since Turkey is one of the developing countries. The current energy policy of Turkey is mainly based on the fossil fuels and natural gases.
- However, the fossil fuels and natural gas are extremely harmful energy resources for environment as the emissions of greenhouse gases are very high level.
- Therefore, a long-term renewable energy policy planning should be developed.
- In this study, the evaluation of renewable energy resources for Turkey is accomplished using intuitionistic fuzzy Visekriterijumsko Kompromisno Rangiranje method in which criteria are expressed in both a quantitative and qualitative way for the first time in the literature.
In the evaluation process, wind, hydro, solar, geothermal, and biomass are evaluated. Four main criteria – technological, environmental, sociological, and economic – are considered as main evaluation criteria and totally 12 subcriteria related to main criteria are also taken into consideration.
What are the criteria for choosing appropriate green energy technologies?
The four criteria are technical, economical, social, ecological & geographical and the eight sub-criteria are maturity, efficiency, set up cost, operational cost, public acceptance, job creation, availability of RE, geographic condition. The various alternatives are solar energy, biomass, and wind energy.
What is methodology of renewable energy?
The Renewable Energy Methodology is part of the ICAT series of guides for assessing the GHG, sustainable development and transformational impacts of policies and actions in an integrated way. The guides are a result of collaboration with technical experts from around the world.
Which strategy is at the top of the hierarchy of renewable energy?
Energy hierarchy – Wikipedia Classification of energy sources in sustainability planning The Energy Hierarchy with the most favoured options at the top
|Part of a series on|
The Energy Hierarchy is a classification of options, prioritised to assist progress towards a more system. It is a similar approach to the for minimising, and adopts a parallel sequence. The highest priorities cover the prevention of unnecessary energy usage both through eliminating waste and improving,